Friday, November 5, 2010

The Week That Was -- And Wasn't

To: Abbottsville Fourth Ward
From: Donna Banta
Subject: From the Sublime to the Ridiculous then back to the Sublime.

Mark and I began our week last Sunday doing what we do best -- pissing off the Religious Right. You got it, Fourth Warders, while you were locked up in your darkened houses observing the Sabbath, we mocked God by passing out candy to evil little urchins dressed in black and orange. At the same time, we watched our beloved black and orange baseball team win the fourth game in the World Series, beating the Texas Rangers.

Then on Monday night . . . well we all know what happened on Monday night. Because for once, both the Mormons and the Ex-Mormons were tuned in to the same channel.

It was the best Family Home Evening ever!

Then Tuesday's midterm election results sucked the Kum-bay-yah right out of the air, and we were again on different sides. -- Polarized over nonsensical issues such as the definition of marriage, the location of a mosque in Manhattan, and the validity of our president's birth certificate. As a fiscally conservative, socially progressive Republican, Mark couldn't understand why the (few) sensible members of his party lent their support to a bunch of right wing fanatics, knowing full well that their religious rhetoric was dangerous and their economic policy was irresponsible. As a liberal Democrat, I couldn't believe that my party who controlled the White House, Senate and Congress for two years and promised change couldn't even muster the strength to push through a measure allowing gays to serve openly in the military.

Perhaps what Washington needs is a cool-headed North Carolina rookie who pitched eight shut out innings against the Rangers, or a Columbian-born slugger who knocked a three-run homer into a sea of red at Texas Stadium, or a long-haired "freak" with a ninety mile an hour fast ball. Not once during the eight years of his presidency did George W. Bush come to San Francisco. But the Texas Rangers were here, and they fought the good fight.

Of course, that kind of courage only happens in sports.

On Wednesday morning Mark and I set our disappointment aside and rode the packed subway downtown for the parade.

Best friends for 33 years
It was only fitting that we met my former BYU roommate and BFF, Emily, who came straight from teaching early morning seminary in her East Bay LDS ward.

The crowd was ecstatic and the experience priceless.

Thank god nobody fell off the top of that Muni Bus!


When he got back to work, Mark discovered that half of his pictures didn't take because his camera's memory chip was overloaded -- SO HE MISSED GETTING ANY PICTURES OF THE PLAYERS!!


This blurred image of Bruce Bochy with the trophy is the last shot that registered. 

I may post more when Emily and other friends who were at the parade email them my way. (I am progressing slowly down the road to forgiveness. Last night I even allowed Mark to come inside and sleep on the couch.)

After the parade, Emily and I shopped in Chinatown and had a leisurely lunch at Cafe Claude. Religion never came up, nor did politics. Instead we discussed important things, like family, friends, good books, and, of course, baseball.

I am lucky. I am an Ex-Mormon whose best friend is a believing Mormon, and I'm a Democrat who is happily married to a Republican. But I know too many Ex-Mormons who have been shunned by their believing families and friends, and, like everyone, I have endured an endless amount of mind-numbing political debate. I am disturbed that our country is so divided, and that our national conversation has been monopolized by fundamentalist extremists. 

My dear friends from the Abbottsville Fourth Ward, it is no wonder that in contentious times such as these, many of us yearn for peace and spiritual well-being. For that reason, I am grateful for our membership in the one and only true, non-partisan, non-denominational Church of Baseball. 
In the name of cheese and rice, amen.





14 comments:

  1. Well said Donna! The video gave me goosebumps but the way you articulated the problems with our divisiveness -- the polarizing fundamentalist rhetoric monopolizing the political "conversation" -- just spot-on and beautifully said. I just love this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you CD. I agree, the video is awesome -- wish I'd done it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard something about baseball this week. BABB and I don't follow sports and I end up out of the loop all the time. I do/did follow politics and like you, am sadly diappointed in all sides.

    Maybe I'll have to learn a little about sports so I can feel connected to something that unifies our nation. I'm sick of the divisions and petty squabbles. We've cancelled our cable for financial reasons but even that doesn't clear the air of all the trash that gets put back and forth. Even NPR is in the fray.

    Maybe ignorance is bliss. It's worked for most of my family for decades and they seem blissfully unaware of how ill informed they are. Maybe cluelessness is a nice place to be for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fiscally conservative, socially progressive Republican, Mark couldn't understand why the (few) sensible members of his party lent their support to a bunch of right wing fanatics, knowing full well that their religious rhetoric was dangerous and their economic policy was irresponsible. As a liberal Democrat, I couldn't believe that my party who controlled the White House, Senate and Congress for two years and promised change couldn't even muster the strength to push through a measure allowing gays to serve openly in the military.

    This says it all. No better political analysis can be found. The two parties are creating, nurturing and fixing to detonate a fullblown crisis of [their] legitimacy.

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @InsanaD, I couldn't help but laugh when I read:

    "Maybe ignorance is bliss. It's worked for most of my family for decades and they seem blissfully unaware of how ill informed they are. Maybe cluelessness is a nice place to be for a while."

    It reminded me of the RS sisters in my old ward who never watched the news and knew nothing about current events or politics other than Republicans = Good, Democrats = Bad. Every once in a while I'd try to engage one in an informed conversation and she'd get this blank expression on her face and say something like, "Wow, Donna, you sooo intellectual!"

    But more to your point, I know how you feel, and sometimes it's a good thing to just change the channel to sports -- or a good chick flick. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So baseball is the one where you go to the stadium and wait and wait and wait till the 9th inning and then someone hits a ball with a stick/bat and someone else runs and then you go home, right? And football is the one where you go to the stadium and look at fat guys who painted their beer bellies with postor paint that runs with their sweat and they get very cold when it snows, right?
    And basketball is that sport where a lot of very tall black guys go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth for about an hour and a half and in between some very cute cheerleaders do a dance, right? And Hockey is the one where Canadians knock each others teeth out, right? And golf is the one where the guy whispers and then rich guys pose and then hit a little ball across some very nice lawns, right? And tennis is the one where two people hit a little yellow ball back and forth and fall in love, Right?

    I'm trying to figure out which one could hold my interest long enough to learn how the game is played. I've got to find a neutral replacement for religion and politics. I love art and history but trying to engage anyone in those topics just brings on a yawn. Gardening isn't controversial enough to get a passionate conversations going and people are sick and tired of hearing how amazing my kids and grandkids are.

    Is there art in baseball?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain, InsanaD. Art, history, and gardening are great but they don't inspire cheering sections and/or passionate debate. Maybe we should start our own cult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, go on a gardening blog and try to proclaim the necessity of squash bug insecticide and you may as well kiss your arse goodbye. The purists will peck you to death.

    Still, the conversations are fairly short lived and there seems to be a lack of passion or a common enemy (other than bugs and weather which don't care that we rail against them). I go to Exmo blogs because there's always something new to stir up and get passionate about and new friends to make, a defined enemy (ignorance) and lots of tender stories to keep me interested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love this post~ And great pics. You always have such interesting things to say. PS~I've told a few friends about your blog, so you may see a few random followers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Russo, Loved meeting you and Eric at the exmo conference. Thanks for the plug for my blog. Also thanks to you guys for fighting the good fight, and for telling your friends. I truly hope to see you guys again -- hopefully here! There's an aerobed with your name on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @InsanaD "a defined enemy (ignorance)" Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Water and shyte flows downhill and the lowest common denominator for many groups seems to be the standard to which they aspire. I get so frustrated at willfull ignorance and am trying to figure out where to expend my energy and passion where it will be most effective. I think it's necessary to by-pass the stupid in favor of pursuing the excellent. That leaves a lot of spent carcasses but the ignorant don't know they're ignorant so they don't seem to notice that I'm not noticing. Their ignorance is their bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Insana That UU church you posted about sounds like a good venue. As for the willfully ignorant, I'm not sure how blissful they are. A lot of them sound pretty angry, and afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, if there was a "like" button for this post, I'd push it. Just awesome! Well said!

    ReplyDelete