Ward Gossip started as a writing exercise. Since I was at work on my first Mormon-themed mystery novel, a Mormon blog seemed a natural companion. My early posts took the form of emails from the (fictional) Abbottsville 4th Ward. Later I added "other musings" to include articles from the (also fictional) "Salt Lake News" as well as some book reviews, obits, and my own op-eds. With a few exceptions, I've opted for humor, so that we might laugh at the things we once took too seriously.
My favorite subjects have been the rank and file Mormons, those obedient, ever-cheerful, perennial do-gooders who struggle in vain to live up to the Brethren's impossible expectations. Hapless and lovable, they never cease to inspire laughter.
- The teenaged "Elder" charged with saving the world.
- The cool guy trying to be both Mormon and hip.
- The smart teen struggling to sit through a youth fireside without cracking up.
- The nice woman who's not cut out for the Homemaking Committee.
- The young woman who doesn't want to be a stick of gum/crystal goblet/unplucked rose.
- The mature woman who doesn't want to be a stick of gum/crystal goblet/unplucked rose.
- The potentially nice man who annoys the heck out of his neighbors and coworkers.
- The little girl who is responsible for her entire family's salvation.
- The tireless devotee who feels cheated when the doctrine changes.
- The poor schlub who only craves a bit of sanity.
- The otherwise intelligent person who is stuck with explaining the unexplainable.
Of course there are plenty of funny blogs out there to fill any void Ward Gossip might leave behind. For starters, there's the amazing blogroll in my sidebar. Also check out the nominees for this year's Brodie Awards. Voting ends February 5, 2016. Ward Gossip is up for 2 categories: "Best Parody" and (fittingly) "Best Exit Story."
I'm going to leave the site up for an indefinite amount of time, as a cure for insomniacs, also for the link to my 2 Mormon-themed mystery novels, as well as the links to the sites on my amazing blogroll. I may be taking a break from writing, but definitely not from reading! I'll keep the roll current, adding new sites as I find them. Also, who knows? Those zany Brethren in Salt Lake may pull something crazy enough to resurrect Ward Gossip from the dead. At this point that's hard to imagine. But stranger things have happened.
If you're on Facebook and haven't already done so, please send me a friend request. Or follow me on Twitter. I haven't been active there so far, but I see more tweets in my future. Since I intend to keep writing, I imagine I'll start another blog or website at some point, or maybe contribute to a group blog. If there's one that will have me.
But first I'm taking a breather ... and maybe fixing myself a cocktail! After all, it is Friday.
Tonight Mark and I will raise our glasses in a series of toasts. First to the Gentle Readers who have followed Ward Gossip - I am forever in your debt. Then to all the funny, Mormon-themed blogs. Next to the hapless and lovable Mormons who inspire them. And finally to laughter. Because, lord knows, we all dearly need to laugh.
If you would like to stop receiving these emails - today is your Lucky Day!