Friday, January 29, 2016

Signing Off On Ward Gossip

After six years and over 300 posts, I've finally decided to move on. It won't be easy! I've loved writing this little Mormon-themed blog. Even more, I've loved the responses I've gotten from so many readers - not only in the comment fields, but in private emails, snail mail (I received a lovely gift from a reader just the other day**), and in real life. I've made countless new friends via this blog and I am grateful and indebted to all of you for your encouragement and support. I'm even thankful for the occasional snarky reader who has kept me on my toes. It's been a great six years.

**Psst...love the DVD and CD's, Gentle Reader/You Know Who You Are!

Ward Gossip started as a writing exercise. Since I was at work on my first Mormon-themed mystery novel, a Mormon blog seemed a natural companion. My early posts took the form of emails from the (fictional) Abbottsville 4th Ward. Later I added "other musings" to include articles from the (also fictional) "Salt Lake News" as well as some book reviews, obits, and my own op-eds. With a few exceptions, I've opted for humor, so that we might laugh at the things we once took too seriously.

My favorite subjects have been the rank and file Mormons, those obedient, ever-cheerful, perennial do-gooders who struggle in vain to live up to the Brethren's impossible expectations. Hapless and lovable, they never cease to inspire laughter.
 And so on.

Of course there are plenty of funny blogs out there to fill any void Ward Gossip might leave behind. For starters, there's the amazing blogroll in my sidebar. Also check out the nominees for this year's Brodie Awards. Voting ends February 5, 2016. Ward Gossip is up for 2 categories: "Best Parody" and (fittingly) "Best Exit Story."

I'm going to leave the site up for an indefinite amount of time, as a cure for insomniacs, also for the link to my 2 Mormon-themed mystery novels, as well as the links to the sites on my amazing blogroll. I may be taking a break from writing, but definitely not from reading! I'll keep the roll current, adding new sites as I find them. Also, who knows? Those zany Brethren in Salt Lake may pull something crazy enough to resurrect Ward Gossip from the dead. At this point that's hard to imagine. But stranger things have happened.

If you're on Facebook and haven't already done so, please send me a friend request. Or follow me on Twitter. I haven't been active there so far, but I see more tweets in my future. Since I intend to keep writing, I imagine I'll start another blog or website at some point, or maybe contribute to a group blog. If there's one that will have me.

But first I'm taking a breather ... and maybe fixing myself a cocktail! After all, it is Friday.

Tonight Mark and I will raise our glasses in a series of toasts. First to the Gentle Readers who have followed Ward Gossip - I am forever in your debt. Then to all the funny, Mormon-themed blogs. Next to the hapless and lovable Mormons who inspire them. And finally to laughter. Because, lord knows, we all dearly need to laugh.

If you would like to stop receiving these emails - today is your Lucky Day!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks a million, Donna. You've helped me through some difficult times with your humor. Keep up your excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved discussing and laughing over these issues with you, Donna. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a sad day in Whoville.. gonna miss your blog posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have given me such an education, some new friends and I am forever in your debt. Keep writing somewhere so we all have something to look forward to. Don't be a stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sad to see you go; but, I totally get it. I'll still be stalking you on facebook :O)

    Looking forward to having a toast with you one day. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kevin, Diane, Jono, JJ, and - of course - sweetheart. I will keep writing but I do need to move on and expand my subject matter.

    But I am so grateful for the friends I've found here. That's the best part about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, I'm going to miss Ward Gossip more than you know. For years, your blog has been a dependable source of laughs. Enjoy your cocktail, and know that your humor will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, I'm sorry to see this blog go. It was always fun and one of the few blogs I checked on a semi-regular basis. Thanks for all the laughter and best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I'm sorry to see this blog go. It was always fun and one of the few blogs I checked on a semi-regular basis. Thanks for all the laughter and best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to miss your blog incredibly. Do you have more novels in the works?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ahab, Alex and Alexis! I am still writing and hope to have a novel or 2 in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna, you have a gift for finding the humor in the hard stuff. I will miss WG but am looking forward to your next project. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sad face. I'll miss your blog! You are so talented and I wish you much success in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AT and Heather, thanks so much for your support over the years! As you both know, comments mean a lot to a lonely blogger and yours have been especially choice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a wonderful way of pointing out the rediculous and exposing it for what it is. I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog and will miss your amazing humor. I will look forward to updates of your future writings. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading NearKolobite! I'll take a break and then get back into it soon, I'm sure. :)

      Delete